Split ends are a problem at any age. They are tough to prevent and once they are there, the only way to deal with them is to have them snipped off. This guide gives you tips on how to keep your hair in gorgeous condition and the best organic products to help prevent split ends.
Why am I getting so many split ends?
There are lots of reasons for split ends. Firstly, hair which is dry or brittle is more prone to developing split ends as the hair strands can only cope with minimum stress before splitting.
If you have this type of hair, your first stop should be helping to nourish your hair so that it becomes stronger and healthier. Read our tips for dry hair.
The other main reason for split ends is that the hair is regularly damaged. This daily damage could include blow drying, curling irons, straightening irons, colouring products, bleach, harsh detergents in shampoos such as sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS), vigorous brushing when your hair is wet, air conditioning, chlorine and hair accessories.
"Blow drying, curling or straightening irons, colouring and harsh shampoos can all contribute to hair damage"
How can I prevent split ends?
It is worth noting that everyone will develop split ends eventually if they don’t have their hair cut, no matter how well they treat it. However, there is plenty you can do to reduce the number of split ends you get and how quickly they form.
Here are some of our natural hair care tips for preventing split ends:
- Wash your hair using one of our organic shampoos. Our Intensive Repair Shampoo is particularly good for nourishing dry, damaged hair and doesn't contain any harsh detergents or chemicals. If you have dry hair, you probably only need to wash it once or twice a week
- Condition your hair whenever you wash it. Again, we recommend our Intensive Repair Conditioner. Concentrate especially on massaging it into the ends, which will help to keep them strong and healthy, and if you have greasy hair only use conditioner on the ends of your hair
- Do a regular ‘deep condition’ by leaving the Intensive Repair Conditioner in your hair for half an hour or so before rinsing thoroughly
- Don’t brush your hair whilst it is very wet as it is at its most delicate – use a wide-toothed comb instead
- Gently towel-dry your hair and squeeze with the folds of the towel rather than rub – and let it drip dry instead of blow drying
- Try not to use any colour or hot styling tools on your hair, or if you're lost without them then try and keep them on as cool a setting as possible
- Have your hair trimmed regularly
- Use hair pins with smooth ends and hair ties without the metal joins, as these will be kinder to your hair than the sharp and scratchy alternatives
- Eat plenty of fresh organic fruits and vegetables, supplement your diet with Omega-3 fatty acids, mineral-rich Seaweed or Kelp and drink plenty of pure, filtered water. This will help your hair to grow stronger and be less likely to spli
Best natural hair products for split ends
We recommend our Intensive Repair Shampoo and Conditioner for strengthening and repairing damaged hair that is prone to split ends. Rich in nutrients and plant proteins, these natural hair products promote strong, healthy hair and give it a shine boost.
We do not use SLS, MI, parabens, alcohol (ethyl alcohol/ethanol), artificial fragrances or any other harsh ingredients in our organic hair products for split ends.
Has switching to natural hair care helped you getting so many split ends? Can we help you find the right products for your hair? Join the conversation at @GreenPeopleUK or by commenting in the section below.